Thursday, January 21, 2016

Wwwwhhhhaaaattttt????

From the first moment you know you’re going to be a caregiver you should be looking around and finding others who have done it and are doing it. You need to use seven simple questions as the basis for gaining knowledge as fast as possible.

The questions are What? Why? Who? Where? When? How? How Much?

When I would take my mother to a doctor’s appointment I’d always take a notepad and pen. I’d write the seven questions in the upper left-hand corner of the pad. Seeing the questions prompted me to ask better questions and my retention rate was higher, I remembered more.

A sad, unnecessary statistic is that most people forget over half of what  doctor tells them before they ever leave the doc’s office; that’s absurd and dangerous.


I had two docs ask me about the pad and questions, “Whataya have there?” I’d tell them, “This is how I’m going to ask you better questions and not forget what you tell me.”

No comments:

Post a Comment