Wednesday, August 12, 2015

International Youth Day...Use the Youth Inside You to Fight the Craziness!!!

Yesterday, I visited my mother at her care center. Is it just me, or does care center sound better than nursing home?

I had no idea that today was going to be International Youth Day (based on a 1999, United Nations resolution), but I spent some time thinking about the fact that I am her son and kind of celebrating that in my heart. And, nothing like Alzheimer’s is going to change that. In fact, when she passes on, that fact will still be valid to me.

The idea behind International Youth Day was to celebrate, support and engage youth around the world. I’m thinking it’s a good idea to celebrate the youth in yourself…a spirit that can easily be lost in under the pressure of caregiving.

I believe the pressure from caregiving that impacts our Head, Heart, Health, Home and Hands (work), is what crushes that youthful spirit many of us have. But, it isn’t lost, it’s just hiding. 

Take some time today, even for a few moments, to try something new, experience a new sensation, read about something fun, REMEMBER A GREAT TIME FROM YOUR YOUTH! Neuroscience shows that simply remembering a great time in the past and reveling in it makes us healthier physically and mentally.


So, in the fight against caregiver craziness, you have an ally. He/She is the youth inside you begging to get out. Take a moment and let them out!

No comments:

Post a Comment