Monday, October 15, 2012

The Future of Pottery


A headline in my local paper alerts me to a lecture this week titled, “The Future of Pottery.”

It might as well have said, “The Future of the Red Solo Cup.”

It isn’t that I don’t like pottery, I think a lot of it is beautiful….well, and a lot of it looks like a 5th grader did it in art class.

Yesterday, I went to a gathering of chess enthusiasts at a local Barnes and Noble bookstore. I like chess and, having played a lot in college, I’d like to get back into it. I’m betting some of the pottery people would have been bored to tears.

The point is that someone likes pottery and they’d be absolutely giddy about the upcoming lecture and other folks like chess and they’ll spend hours sitting quietly trying to figure out a move.

What interests you?

Very often, when you’re engulfed in caregiver craziness, you can forget those things that made your heart sing, that made you…you.

It’s so easy to lose yourself in the caregiver experience. And that can make you crazy.

I’m not saying you need hours of free time to get that, “Yeah, this is me and I’m alive! kind of feeling.”

That type of feeling fights off the crazies.

I can sit in my mother’s room and, as she sleeps, I can play chess on my iPhone. I can do it in an emergency room, waiting for Doogie Howser to come tell me what I know, that Mama has bumped her head and we should give her aspirin and put a cool compress on the bump.

What simple activities make you…you?

*** If you know a caregiver who could use a lift be sure and forward "Caregiving Can Make You Crazy" to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment